Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Southern Girl or Something Different?

What defines a Southern Girl? Is it the food she prepares for her family? Is it the hospitality she shows her guests? Perhaps it's the clothes she dresses her children in. I hope it's none of these, because I only cook when I have no other choice. I'm a bit scatter-brained and not real into having formal guests (or unannounced guests either). As for dressing our daughter in the current style of monogrammed everything, pillow-case dresses, ruffled pants (or clown pants as I like to call them) I really would rather not unless I absolutely have to because someone gave the outfit to me. Why is it that everyone I know just adores these types of children's clothes?
Perhaps I'm just not Southern enough? I was born in Mobile and other than five years spent in Indiana as a preschooler (that I barely even remember) I've spent the rest of my almost 33 years here in South AL. Maybe I'm just Southern at heart, but not in my head. Is there even such a thing?
My idea of cooking a family meal is making tacos. When friends or family come over I might remember to offer them a drink if they are here long enough. I also expect them to tell me if they need something (I know, shame on me! I really was taught better!). As for dressing our children, they wear shorts and t-shirts. Yes, even our daughter (gasp!). Don't get me wrong, she has plenty of dresses that she wears to church and some play dresses too. Ninety percent of the time though she can be found wearing a t-shirt and shorts. As a little girl once myself, I find that dresses inhibit climbing and crawling. Plus there's that dreaded issue of 'you aren't supposed to do flips or hang upside down from the jungle gym wearing a dress. *sigh*
Parents, let your children play and get dirty. Let them spray each other with the water hose and splash in the mud puddles they create. Enjoy watching as they create mud pies or dig holes in the dirt with sticks. I have never understand why a parent would dress their child in a frilly white outfit and then send them to preschool where they are expected to do what...? PLAY! That's right... finger painting, running and climbing on the playground, falling in the dirt, etc. It all happens no matter what clothes a child has on, so be real and dress your children appropriate for the occasion. They aren't mini-adults (someone needs to tell the clothing designers this), nor are they dress-up dolls.
I know this blog is starting to sound like a rant (not my intentions) and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. Perhaps I didn't play with dolls enough when I was a child. Maybe I'm just wired differently from all the other Southern moms that I'm around. I'm not sure what it is, but when I'm surrounded by a bunch of moms who love to do all these seemingly Southern things I feel a bit like an alien. Me feeling like I'm from a different planet is MY issue, not yours. Knowing the problem is the first step, right? I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment